View Single Post
Old 07-14-2004, 09:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
By and large I tend to agree that the best players from college ball can jump quickly to high A. In White Sox history, Robin bypassed high-A, Frank dominated in his brief stay, Reed dominated in half a season as did Brian Anderson. Here's the question: Josh Fields is really struggling. I know it is waaaay to early to panic, but is he not as advanced as a hitter as most thought? Thanks.
If you take out Fields first week or so, his numbers aren't quite as bad. He has a decent eye on the plate and a long swing. However, he's adjusting "power wise" to wood bats well. On Friday he hit a mammoth of a homerun to dead center in Winston Salem. I'm going to try and get a video clip of it up tonight, but its impressive to say the least. He was ahead of the count and got a hanging curveball.

The adjustment period is going to be tough. Just see what develops and then as he gets used to the harder level (trust me, High A Ball is a step up from what he saw most of the time in college). He could potentially be in Bham by the end of the year if he does get in a groove, otherwise he may sit in Winston Salem. I do think as he sees more pitches, you'll see him break out this year.

That doesn't mean he'll of solved his problems, but he's got the chance to be pretty good and could move through the system fast.