View Single Post
Old 07-14-2004, 04:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
Randar, I know you know your stuff, but you are off here. Most starting players in major D-I programs never get to high A, so they can't be compared to some of the players that have made it there. Take National Champion CS-Fullerton for example...... how many of their players on this team were drafted this year? how many are likely to be drafted in the next two years? If they are lucky, out of 25-30 players, maybe a dozen will be drafted not just this year but over the next 3 years. Of those dozen, chances of more than 6-8 of those players even making it to High A are slim. That considers players this year and the development of players over the next two years, not what their talent level is right now.

I love college baseball, but I think Jim Callis backed me up here. The best college teams would have difficulty competing at Low A, because at least half their players would not even be good enough for that level at the time. The best players in college baseball can step in and compete, but overall, the talent is nowhere near deep enough to compete at those levels as a team.
The best college players dominate at their level. Moving to Winston-Salem from Arizona or Oklahoma, IMO, is very similar a step as Kannapolis to W-S. There are other differences, like length of season, etc, but that's just my feeling on it. You expect a short adjustment period and then success.