Thread: Minor Musings
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 02:10 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrod
I just took a gander at the Charlotte Knights and noticed a few interesting things.

1. Who is Reggie Taylor? He came over from Louisville (Reds). Was he a PTBNL for Jimenez or Hummel? He was mediocre with the Bats but is hitting .379 in 29ABs with Charlotte.
2. Wilson Valdez is hitting even better in Charlotte (.337) than he did for high-altitude Albuquerque. Bryant Nelson also looks pretty impressive - he'd never been on my radar before.
3. Is Jonathan Aceves a real future catcher (hitting .300 after promotion from Birmingham) or just a flash in the pan?
4. Jon Rauch just got pummeled by Rochester (Twins) for 7ER in 2IP. Felix Diaz then pitched four scoreless innings. One ominous thing on the Rochester staff was Shannon Stewart. He must be on a full-fledged rehab assignment. If Stewart does for the Twins what he did last year, they will be a much tougher team.
Reggie Taylor is a former first-round pick of the Phillies (and a Chicago native I believe.) He's been a fourth outfielder for the Reds and Phillies. He has a lot of athletic ability but never really became a good baseball player. He's older. Best case scenario in the majors, a bench player. Sox signed him as a free agent after trading Jeremy Reed. They needed a warm body. Right now, the entirety of the Charlotte roster is warm bodies. Not much in the way of real prospects.

Bryant Nelso is 30. He played in Japan last year.

Jonathon Acevas is an organizational player. He's been with the Sox for years.

Watched the Minnesota broadcast today. They're expecting Stewart back immediately after the break. But that may mean fewer at bats for Matt Lecroy and Lew Ford, who haven't been the problem for the Twins.