View Single Post
Old 06-24-2004, 05:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney
Will Fields and Lumsden end up at Birmingham sometime this summer?

If they absolutely tear it up for an extended stretch (I would say anything over three weeks is an extended stretch) in high A ball, it can do wonders for their mindsets, but is that really worth it if they're not being challenged enough?

I say that these two should make the jump to AA ball THIS SUMMER if they're white-hot down in A ball. In my opinion, these two have enough college experience to justify skipping A ball, and moving to AA, facing better competition, would definitely be a plus.

Then again, maybe I value college ball too highly as a training tool.
Well, they did both play 3 years of college ball, but, let's be realistic. Fields only has a hit or 2 in his first 3 or 4 games, and Lumsden has only made one appearance, IIRC.

During contract negotiations, I've heard (been reported for Fields) that they were told that signing early would give them a chance to reach Birmingham by season's end. Both Rogowski and Brian Anderson have been doing it consistently at Winston-Salem all year, so they are likely to be first in line for promotions. Some moves would have to be made to clear a roster space, but there isn't anyone ahead of Fields in AA or AAA, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If anything, they may get call-ups for the last 2-3 weeks of the AA season if they start performing now, JMO. Lumsden still hasn't made 1 start, so they should take their time with him. While having some good college experience, Lumsden isn't as polished as I think he should be to go to AA yet.