View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
You just don't get a no-hitter or a perfect game if it's rain-shortened, courtesy Bud's historical revisionism squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
You never did. Before Bud Selig bought the Brewers there was a separate honorable mention list for the no-hitters where the pitcher didn't have to go nine. Even before I was born, you had to pitch nine innings to get credit for a no-hitter. News agencies started giving credit to pitchers in the 1980s and 1990s who didn't go nine, but they ignored the fact that baseball never gave Dean Chance credit for his five-inning rain-shortened perfect game in 1967.
Neither of these statements are accurate. Games WERE classified as no-hitters until the fall of 1991, when Fay Vincent commissioned the "Committee for Statistical Accuracy." That committee defined the requirement of a no-hitter as giving up zero hits in a completed game with a minimum of 9 innings pitched. It wiped out both Andy Hawkins 4-0 no-hit loss to the Sox and Melido Perez's 6-inning rain shortened no-hitter in New York from the 1990 season.

It's never made sense to me- if at the end of an official game, a team has zero hits, it seems to me it falls under the definition of a "NO hitter."