View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 05:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I'm sure Hahn/KW will wait before making any moves. The team just got healthy (for the most part) and now they'll likely sit back and see what they got over the next month or so before deciding. Luckily, the deadline isn't until July 31st.

If they trade Micah Johnson, Tim Anderson, and Tyler Danish for 1.5 seasons of Jeff Samardzija, they deserve all the scrutiny you can muster. However, if they trade a Jared Mitchell for a Brandon McCarthy or a Trace Thompson for a Huston Street, then you shouldn't lose any sleep.

Ugh. Hated it then, and still hate it. Never felt lower as a Sox fan. An absolute PR disaster of a trade that ultimately yielded them only two useful relief pitchers and nothing more. Pennant races should never be surrendered when you are 3 games back. The Tribe lost 8 in a row after the deal too. Bad memories. This is likely a topic for another thread though.
I agree, especially with the bolded parts. The White Flag Trade was only mitigated (to a small extent IMO) with the 2000 division title. Even so, still don't like it to this day.

If someone wants to give us someone of any kind of value for Jared Mitchell or someone similar, I say take it and don't look back.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell