View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 01:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Of the second basemen who have played regularly for the White Sox for a number of years, you probably have to go back to Julio Cruz to find one better than Beckham.

Getz? No way.
Iguchi? Great hands, but limited range and only an average arm.
Durham? Great range, but weak arm and average hands.
Cora? Not in Beckham's league.

Maybe Scott Fletcher during his second tour with the team was as good/better defensively than Beckham (ironically, Fletcher is Beckham's father-in-law). Am I forgetting anyone who played regularly? Uribe and Alexi were quite good at second, but didn't play there for long. Obviously, these are subjective impressions.
My subjective impression was that Iguchi was better defensively. I admit my impression was greatly influenced by Iguchi being part of the 2005 World Series Championship.

I decided to be a little more objective and looked up some stats. Here's what I found.

Tadahito's FLD% in three years with the Sox averaged .984. Beckham's FLD% at 2B for the last 5 years (including this year's abbreviated .968 percentage) has averaged .987. Beckham's averaged 9 errors per year, while Iguchi averaged 9.33 errors over his 3 year stint with our White Sox.

So, by the slightest of margins, Beckham has been better than Iguchi at 2B. But I'm still waiting on Beckham's World Series ring.