View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 01:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Of the second basemen who have played regularly for the White Sox for a number of years, you probably have to go back to Julio Cruz to find one better than Beckham.

Getz? No way.
Iguchi? Great hands, but limited range and only an average arm.
Durham? Great range, but weak arm and average hands.
Cora? Not in Beckham's league.

Maybe Scott Fletcher during his second tour with the team was as good/better defensively than Beckham (ironically, Fletcher is Beckham's father-in-law). Am I forgetting anyone who played regularly? Uribe and Alexi were quite good at second, but didn't play there for long. Obviously, these are subjective impressions.
Iguchi was better than Beckham.

I'm not sure why people have decided Semien isn't good defensively. He's not great, but he's solid.

We've been spoiled by good defensive SS's for a long time, but the return for Ramirez should be worth it. This team is 2-3 years away from competing. We need at least 2 starters, but more than likely 3. Beck hasn't pitched very well and there's something seriously wrong with EJ. Hopefully, the draft will fill 1 of those holes. I can live with a couple years of Semien or Sanchez at SS while we build a staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).