View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 08:47 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
You wouldn't have seen much more of the White Sox had they stayed on WGN. In the early 1980s, the White Sox were on WGN, and you barely saw them.

It wasn't as if going to WFLD prevented the White Sox from having the supersttion exposure that the Cubs got beginning in the late 1970s, especially by 1983 when the Tribune company owned the Cubs. The Braves, of course, were owned by the owner of WTBS
I won't pretend to know the mechanics and technical aspects of the deal. All I know is "Sox on TV once a month at best, cubs/Braves on TV every day". My town did not have WFLD available no matter what kind of TV you had for a large chunk of time that this was happening. I remember looking desperately at the newspaper TV guide to see if and when the Sox would be on. Sure enough they were listed, but it was always on 32. Then it changed to SportsVision, which we couldn't get either. Sox games weren't consistently available in my town until probably when I was in 8th grade. By then, I was a Sox fan, but every single one of my friends were either cubs only or cubs/Sox fans.