View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 07:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
In the small town I where I lived, I was able to watch MAYYBEEEEE one White Sox game a month during my fan formative years (early '80's). On the other hand, I was able to watch just about every cub and Brave game, which I did ... a lot. The only reason I am a Sox fan now is because my father is a Sox fan and would only take me to games at Comiskey. That and 1983 was really my first year of paying attention to what was happening. Without having the scientific data in front of me, I am pretty sure that there is a generation of cub fans that didn't have the wise presence I had to steer them in the right direction.

I rooted for the cubs just as much back then. It wasn't until I started getting ripped on by my cub fan friends that I became a salty hater. The Braves have also always been my 2nd team. It is not a coincidence.
You wouldn't have seen much more of the White Sox had they stayed on WGN. In the early 1980s, the White Sox were on WGN, and you barely saw them.

It wasn't as if going to WFLD prevented the White Sox from having the supersttion exposure that the Cubs got beginning in the late 1970s, especially by 1983 when the Tribune company owned the Cubs. The Braves, of course, were owned by the owner of WTBS