View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 08:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
When I was living in Munster, 1967-1979, Munster was solidly Cubs country. Being a White Sox fan put me in a very small minority. Being known as a White Sox fan at Munster High made you a social outcast, so there were probably a few White Sox fans in the closet. That was even true in 1977, when there was more excitement for the Cubs' run that year than the White Sox run that is more fondly remembered among the respective fan bases. And it was true too for the area of Hammond where the family auto parts store was located. All of my grandfather's employees were Cubs fans. During summer afternoons, Cubs games would be playing in the accounting area. I wondered if it was at least in part a class thing because Munster, at the time at least, was more affluent than the rest of Lake County. Still the Times always treated the Cubs as the No. 1 baseball team in its circulation area. When I went down to Bloomington for school, I was in Reds country. Of course, those were the days of the Big Red Machine.

Everywhere else I've lived since, Arizona, Alaska and California, with the exception of suburban Milwaukee, people have to be reminded that the Cubs are not the only major league baseball team.

I was once in Dublin, Ireland, talking to a man from Liverpool, England about sports. Although he had never been to America, he knew that Wrigley Field was to baseball what St. Andrews in Scotland is to golf.
Here on the East Coast, I don't have to deal with that very much, since this area (especially before the Nats came to town), NY, and NE all are obviously AL-centric.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell