View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 03:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfourni View Post
Nope: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/tick...ayout=gameflow

Also, if the White Sox "dynamically priced" ticket prices in both directions, it might actually make some sense. As it stands, they have a policy where tickets are cheaper the further in advance you buy them. How they think raising prices the closer you get to gameday is a sound strategy with a season ticket base so low and the need for strong walkup crowds doesn't make much sense to me.
I'm not sure why this hasn't become obvious, but they don't really care.

Look at the price of Opening Day versus the price of the other games that week. In many cases, if they sell 1 ticket in many of those sections, it equals the value of 2-4 on other days. When they're raising prices closer to games, they can better anticipate and forecast things like staff needed on hand, food preparation necessary, etc. And honestly, when the difference in the revenue of 400 walkups (with "dynamic" pricing) to 1200-1500 walkups (with budget/cheaper pricing) is nothing - while they get to save on additional costs around the park - why should they care?

Additionally, since the Sox are now required to be paying more to the ISFA for tickets sold over 1,925,000 per season, what is the incentive to sell more? Look at their attendances the last few years - 1,768,413, 1,965,955, 2,001,117. When taking comp tickets into consideration, they always fall below that 1,925,000 threshold and don't have to kick in that extra $3 per ticket (for how many paid tickets were sold over 1,925,000).

Now theoretically, everyone involved should be at least attempting to get them AS CLOSE to the 1,925,000 number as humanly possible as that would obviously maximize their revenue, but at the end of the day I'm convinced that everyone over at 35th and Shields just doesn't care. They know they'll get their 1.5 million fans regardless, and in the process they'll continue stuffing the pockets of their investors.