View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 06:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
I have to assume the 83 throwback stuff is much more about selling the alternate logos than it is about the alternate color - the reason I think this is because they sell stuff in a bunch of different colors (even colors that the team would never actually wear) ANYWAY (just check out shop.mlb.com)

On a semi-related note, they still list the standard 1983 cap as a "authentic on-field" cap. Might just be old stock from last year, or maybe they'll use both that AND the "new" batterman cap?
I think the main difference is that the "fashion" caps and other merchandise available in other colors can't be marketed as on-field uniforms. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I just think the SOX brass have a strong sentimental attachment to the 83' unis as they represent the first real branding mark they made on the team after taking ownership. I just wonder whether the batterman logo and the block SOX script are actually this popular, or whether it's just a case of the SOX marketing department telling us that they are popular.