View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 02:12 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
My wife and I went to Opening Day in 1981. A great day -- bright sunshine, clear sky, full house, and Carlton Fisk's grand slam. What a package that was.

I've been lucky to be able to be there at every opener since then and it never gets old. Closed down one ballpark, opened a new one, sat in the sunshine, shivered in the cold, it doesn't matter. Ozzie Smith probably won't pull off his plan to make Opening Day a national holiday, but it's always been a holiday for me.

See you at the ballpark.

Got me by three years, I went to my first in 1984- it was against the Tigers and it was a night game and freeeeeeeeeeezing cold.

My favorite one was probably the 2006 opener - raising the Championship banner and winning in extra innings on a Thome home run.

2000 was great - a late start due to weather, Ray Durham makes a great over the shoulder catch and the Sox beat the Angels.

1990 was bittersweet knowing that it would be the last opener at the ballpark I grew up in.

The other one I really enjoyed was circa 1993 - against the Yankees on Good Friday and it was 80+ degrees and a White Sox winner, I believe it was the first opening day win in the new ballpark.