View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 02:08 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
I think (especially since they moved it away from the Hyatt and jacked the prices way up) that only pretty hardcore fans go to SoxFest - you're not going to spend that much money unless you're really into the team, in which case you probably already go to a bunch of games (or you're getting the passes free for having season tickets, but, again, that pretty much means they've already gotten you).

Pretty much the same thing goes for people who post at WSI - if you post here, you clearly care a lot about the team, which is great, but it means you're not really what the team needs to be marketing to. If they can get each of us to go to an extra game or two, that's not a BAD thing, but what they really need to do is get NEW people to come to a bunch of games and I'm not sure Bobby Jenks or Scott Podsednik or a bobblehead will do it.
Ok, maybe you wrote that wrong but what you said above is- "I suspect people that go to Soxfest aren't the same as people who go to games". Now you say they go all the time. Ha, it is just confusing to me. No worries. They are going back to the Hyatt next year, don't think they will lower prices though.

I agree that the hardcore folks don't need to be wooed. However, I think that if you watched '05 and started going to more games in '06, a few '05 based promotions will bring ya back a couple of more times. The hardcore folks are gonna go regardless, so no you don't have to cater to them but the promos should be something that does well with all the fans. I think anyone at a Sox game would like something '05 themed.

I think the biggest thing that attracts the new fan is ticket prices. What needs to be figured out is how to get the word out to the fans that you can go to a game for $7. Or $15. Or $5. I think many people would be shocked to learn that. When I talk about it, even fans didn't know they had those cheap seats. More than likely you will get some people that will upgrade their seats, but you got them in the door! It also depends on how decent the team is. If they start strong, more people will get excited, and after the winter we had (or having) people are gonna be itching to get outside.