View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksBrokenFoot View Post
Our "core fan base" is toxic. No matter what is done, they will complain. It is long past time to stop trying with them, bring out as many unis as it takes to earn every last cent we need to build a winner. I don't care if the team plays in their underpants, if it sells 1 more ticket, do it.
I'm assuming the White Sox won't announce in advance when they plan to wear these new/old alternate uniforms and caps (in fact the team has said they aren't "Sunday" uniforms), so how will the team derive more revenue through ticket sales by having these alternate uniforms? I suppose someone could tune in to the television or radio broadcast, see or hear that the team is wearing these uniforms and say to themselves, "I have to get down to the ballpark to see this for myself (and will take my friends and family with me to witness it)," but that seems unlikely.

Revenue through merchandising? Ok. But is there any data out there which suggests that increased merchandising revenue derived though the availability of alternate uniforms/caps has significantly helped an organization "build a winner?"

On the other hand, alienating the "toxic core" (a/k/a the people who buy season tickets) doesn't sound like a viable business strategy.