View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Do you have an article written by an actual scout that calls the Anderson pick a "reach"? He was at the draft for a reason and I do not remember seeing any mock drafts that did not have him as a first round pick.

Danish was consistently graded in the 51- 100 pick range. Considering we got him at #55, I don't think that was a reach either.

The days of signability picks are over. With the slot system and budget limits you get the player you want.
Yes, exactly, not to mention, did Anderson or Danish sign for under slot? I don't remember. And, even if the Sox did "reach" a bit for them, they also turned in a few quality picks in later rounds for some HS players with college commitments that they were able to persuade to come play professionally (thinking specifically Lowry and Michalczewski), which is a fine strategy for a team that is drafting out of the Top 15 but needs to add a massive amount of talent in their farm system. I would imagine the Sox would approach this draft differently with a Top 3 overall pick and a much deeper system.