View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 11:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
This is a really ignorant comment and generalization.

Anyone who spends the time, money and effort to go to Soxfest or an autograph convention to get something signed generally would not make their money back by selling it second-hand. It's just not worth it. Consider the time involved in standing in line, the cost to go there, park, the tickets, buying the memorabilia, the fees to sell it on an auction site, the item not being certified, etc. The return would not justify the investment in most cases.

Most people collect this stuff to put in their den/tv room because it's a cool to display/fun to talk about. It's a hobby for a lot of people. If there wasn't a market for it, then these huge fan conventions like Soxfest, Cubs Convention, the Rosemont SunTimes shows wouldn't exist.

That's fine and I understand that aspect of it. What I was mostly responding to was the claim that players know what makes an autograph valuable. That, to me, suggests value on the open market. I don't see why a guy like Jim Thome would want to go out of his way to make it easy for a guy to make maximum cash on the back end.

If Thome signs something for someone to keep around the house, what does it matter how he signs it. Isn't just good enough to know that you met the guy and he signed something for you to display? Seems petty to complain about how he signed a baseball not on the sweet spot or that he didn't put other little details in the signature when there are hundreds of other people waiting and a limited timeframe in which to do it.