Old 12-31-2013, 12:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post

Here's what I've got so far...

Rotation:
STAPLES: Sale-Quintana-Danks
BATTLES: Paulino, Johnson, Rienzo, Castro, Molina maybe even Beck
I don't see Simon Castro factoring into the rotation because he is viewed primarily as a bullpen guy, and not a very good one at that. Molina is coming off of surgery and has yet to establish himself in the White Sox system since the Toronto trade. The Sox claimed Eric Surkamp off of waivers recently and he might be a possible #5 starter. He has plus stuff and has succeeded on the minor league level. He is a prime "Coop Might Fix 'em" project.

Quote:
Bullpen: 4 spots, need 2 lefties
STAPLES: Jones, Lindstrom, Belisario,
BATTLES: Purcey(L), Petricka, Webb, Veal (L)
Don't forget about Scott Downs. He has a locked down spot so really, the second lefty job is likely between Purcey and Veal. Purcey had offseason surgery and has to prove he is healthy in Spring Training if he wants a shot to make the club. Neither guy is overwhelming but Veal at least has some stretches of effectiveness under his belt. I like what I saw out of Webb last year. He has pretty good command and seems to keep his poise even when he allows baserunners. This is likely due to his closing experience in AAA. I wouldn't even rule him out as a successor to Addison Reed.

Quote:
Catchers: I think this is the most intriguing battle, Nieto seems to have the lead in the #2 catcher due to the $ spent in the Rule 5 draft, he's a switch hitter and pretty good defensive player. Flowers and Phegley will battle for the #1 with most likely Phegley starting in AAA.

STAPLES: NONE
BATTLES: T. Flowers, A. Nieto(S), J. Phegley
As a previous poster pointed out, I feel a trade coming. I just can't see them heading to camp with only these three guys competing for a #1 catcher spot. Maybe the long rumored Jose Loboton trade comes to fruition closer to Spring Training.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin