View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 02:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
And if you compared this to Tanaka, you'd realize what a joke of a comparison it is. Hell, Matsuzaka's best pitch, the slider, is probably Tanaka's worst everyday use pitch. Matsuzaka throws a sweeping slider, Tanaka's is a get me over strike pitch. They are different pitchers that rely on different stuff to be effective. Not one thing about their style or repertoire is similar. To imply so is to not understand the basics of pitch evaluation.

I will try one more time to help you understand the point. I am not comparing the pitches of Matsuzaka and Tanaka. My point was that the media hyped Matsuzaka before his arrival and Boston paid big bucks to get him. John Farrell even praised him mightily in the article I posted about his great pitch assortment. That is the same Farrell that just won a World Series title. But when he got here, he was good at times and very ordinary at times.
Now you have Tanaka as "Cy Young contender for the next half decade" but stats in Japan are not the same as in the majors. His actual stats in Japan place him somewhere between Darvish and DiceK. The same DiceK who is now a free agent instead of a Cy Young candidate.