View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 02:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Nobody is arguing that point with you. Notice how I did not say that a good stat doesn't mean it can be used in a vacuum without any context; it just means that it is a reliable and as accurate as possible quantification of a player's individual performance, as opposed to bad stats, which rely HEAVILY on the outside influence of other people or situations. Just because I think OBP is a good stat doesn't mean I think you can just rank all the players in the league by OBP and that's your list of players, best to worst, it means that OBP is a good tool to use in player evaluation.

Also, I don't think you understand how BABIP works, groundouts to anybody would still count against BABIP
I though BABIP is batting average on balls put in play, my understanding is that a normal BABIP is usually .300 so if a guy had a BABIP of .250 or something you could look at that and say "Oh, he is hitting into some bad luck," my point was that it doesn't distinguish between a line shot that right at someone and a weak groundout. It also doesn't tell you if defenses are shifting, etc.

I get your overall point and I know from your previous posts you tend not to take them in a vaccum, I think my point is that there aren't any really good stats or bad stats. The stats that don't rely on outside performance can be as misleading as the ones that do.

Go Sox!!!