View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 07:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Did anyone rank Gillespie ahead of Davidson? San Fran basically gave him to us. ...
In the Giants system, Gillaspie was blocked by Pablo Sandoval at third. The only other position he played was first. Every time the Giants acquired a bat, it seemed to be someone whose defensive skills were so weak that they stuck him at first, blocking all prospects but Brandon Belt. The Giants traded him because he ran out of options.

No one ever ranked Gillaspie ahead of Matt Davidson, but Chris Carter's prospect ranking was 28 by Baseball America before the 2010 season, and he has been unimpressive in parts of four seasons.. Matt Davidson has never been ranked higher than 88. I don't know that he is ready to play third base in the majors fulltime.

If you look at the 2013 Davidson had for Reno and the 2012 Gillaspie had for Fresno, they are quite similar except that Davidson hit a lot more doubles and struck out a lot more. Gillaspie also played a better third base. I'm not suggesting Davidson doesn't have a higher ceiling. I would love to see Davidson give me a reason to get excited about the White Sox upgrading at third base, but he has to show me something first. And I'm not certain I'll see it in 2014.