View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 07:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Stats are great to look at, but in reality is there a team in baseball that would take Dunn away from the Sox now without the requirement that the Sox eat about 75% of that contract?

After watching Dunn over the course of the last three years, is there anything that illustrates he has the motivation or work ethic to want to come back and succeed in 2015? Even if he comes back, who would want to touch him?
If the White Sox were to release Dunn, I have no doubt he would be picked up by another team because the White Sox would be picking close to all of his salary. If this were his free-agent offseason, I doubt he would be able to find a major league deal as sweet as the one the White Sox gave Konerko for 2014. What I am hoping is that 2014 being the last year of Dunn's contract, Dunn will be motivated to have a much better offensive season to impress as he prepares to look for a new employer.

As things are now, teams would expect from Dunn what they have expected out of Jason Giambi. Dunn doesn't have the steroids-history baggage, and he's quite a bit younger, but I can't imagine any team is looking at Dunn as being an acceptable full-time DH, let alone first baseman or outfielder. Giambi's contract last year was for less than $1 million. You can make a statistical argument that Dunn has been an acceptable offensive player. But if he had been for the last three years, you wouldn't have to make a statistical argument for fans who have seen differently.