View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 07:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
I believe so, but again, I am not the one saying someone isn't qualified for a job because they haven't done that job before. I think Robin's experience in baseball more than made up for any lack of managerial experience. Why is it people on message boards think they can understand the game better than he can by watching on television when he has spent most of his adult life in a major league clubhouse?

Besides, Robin's team did better before he got experience. That isn't a concern anymore. He has been a manager for 2 years.
And Ozzie Guillen was a better manager before he got experience.

I think experience as defined by most here is overrated. Coaching in the minors, even managing in the minors doesn't develop major league managers, although managing successfully in the minors can show a team what a manager can do as a manager. When the White Sox hired Roland Hemond, Hemond hired Chuck Tanner from the his old organization knowing that Tanner thought outside the box, and the Chicago media spent a great deal of time comparing the rookie manager to Leo Durocher, who beat out Babe Ruth for the Dodgers top job back in the day. I doubt there is anything Robin Ventura doesn't know about baseball that he would have learned coaching.

Since I've been following baseball, which goes back to Leo Durocher with the Cubs, the Cubs probably more than any other team have sought out managers who were supposed to be the best available, rather than just experienced and very good. And yet, there are people who blame Durocher and Dusty Baker and even Lou Piniella for Cubs teams not winning.

There are little things, of course. Before Don Mattingly became manager, there was a game where he was filling in for his ejected Dodgers manager, he made a double trip to the mound to talk to a pitcher, turning around on his way to the dugout to point out one more thing. Bruce Bochy, as experienced a manager as there is right now in the majors, pointed it out to the umpire, and the pitcher had to come out. The unready bullpen gave up the lead and lost the game.

But experienced managers can make stupid mistakes as well. Bochy's team last summer batted out of turn, costing them a run in a 4-2 loss to the Dodgers. Terry Bevington had quite a bit of minor league experience when he signaled to the White Sox bullpen to change pitchers with no one warming up. Dick Williams had been to the World Series three times when he wrote Nolan Ryan's in the lineup card on a night he wasn't scheduled to start, forcing him to face at least one White Sox batter unrested and barely warmed up.

Every manager knows the percentages. Managing isn't simply about playing the percentages, although the more percentages favor your team relative to the opposition, the more a winning manager plays them. Often winning, especially for underdogs, is about thinking outside the box. And I don't have an academic problem who is more concerned with doing things in an effort to win if they are counter to percentages than playing the percentages because he will come under less criticism if the moves don't work.

I don't always agree with Ventura's moves, but I don't have the burden he does.