View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 09:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
This seems obvious. Hitting, ultimately, is about hitting. Walking often comes on a pitcher's terms. Teams try to provide lineup protection for their best hitters so they will see more good pitches and walk less. If you aren't hitting when you're not walking, you're not hitting.

It is fashionable today to consider batting averages meaningless, but unless your offensive role is limited to getting on base, if you're hitting .220 (something Adam Dunn has never managed to do with the White Sox), your on-base percentage is irrelevant and your OPS doesn't reflect your hitting.

I don't see how anyone can favorably compare Dunn's career to Konerko's. I didn't understand how anyone could do that the day the White Sox signed him, and the comparison has only become more absurd over the last three seasons.
Probably because, aside from BA and RBI, all his numbers are superior and he's played 4 less years.

I'm not sneering at PK's numbers. He's had a great career. I also call it like I see it. There's a small group of posters here that like to pretend Dunn hasn't also had a great career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).