View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 06:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
They based it off something that doesn't base it off of stuff, just effectiveness (which is not how you rate a fastball, or any pitch for that matter). A lot more than how good a pitch is goes into the stat that was brought up, including but not limited to deception, timing of usage/count, other pitches in at bat...you get the point. Jose's fastball is effective for reason beyond the talent, because the talent is not all that great. If you told a scout that Jose's fastball was in that top half of starters, that scout would laugh at you.

I know people are going to jump on that out of ignorance, but think of it this way: If a guy had the best fastball in baseball, but only threw that pitch, would he be effective? No. Does he have a better fastball than Quintana? Yes. They are two different things entirely.
The endless debate continues- the actual 2 year performance of a 24 yo LHP- or all of the implications of the analysis of everything other than the actual results.

We'll see-

I'm betting on the young pitcher who improved in 2013 vs. 2012- and seems to have the stones to perform under pressure at 24-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."