View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 11:33 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
The reason stated about keeping Ramirez because of Abreu did occur to me and may be a reason to keep him but conversely it could be a reason to get rid of him. Not all countrymen get along.

I like you think about past history of Sox moves and am aware of the Looie trade in 70. I doubt the current Sox management are aware of these moves from years ago or use them in factoring their current moves.

Ramirez is at least 32, his best days are behind him and his biggest pay days are the next 2 years. Also I really dont think Ramirez will be a factor in the Sox gaining competitiveness. That will be down the line, not anytime soon.
A couple weekends ago I heard an interview with Hahn on 670. He said the team used Ramirez to reach out to Abreu, because he and Ramirez had been teammates at one time in Cuba. Hahn also said he expects Ramirez to help Abreu with his adjustment to the Majors. I don't think Alexei is untouchable, but I find it highly likely he'll be here until at least the trading deadline to help Abreu.