View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I will act like that because with competent defense, some bullpen depth and without the clowning on the basepaths and in the dugout (no way to fix that), this team wouldn't have lost 90 games.
And I don't agree that we are in the worst position in baseball because our starting pitching is better than 1/2 the teams in baseball.
If the Sox are subscribing to the BP/Keith Law philosophy that the Astros have it right, then the Sox should trade Sale and never should have signed that free agent.
Otherwise, I think this team can win 75-80 gams ball getting a defensive center fielder in here, signing a catcher like Salty, and signing another bullpen pitcher or 2. Another bat would help as well. More moves to come next year.
We can wait til the cows come home for the minors to produce an all star position player, but none is in sight. Most farm systems don't produce any on a regular basis either, no matter how can't miss those players are.
Oh...so with competent defense (ie, several new, better players) and a good deep pen (i.e., several new, better players), we'd be able to win ten more ball games and just barely miss 90 losses. Brilliant analysis. You proved my point more than your own with that first part.

Our starting pitching is not better than half of baseball. I'm so tired of people mentioning that over and over trying their damnest to make it true. Sale and Quintana were among the best. Peavy kept the number high until he was traded. Santiago was phenomenal then fell apart without his peripherals taking a dive (meaning the league has seen his garbage enough to catch up). Axelrod had the same thing happen, only much sooner (because he has even worse stuff). And John Danks barely has an arm (and the numbers to prove it). Our minors are derelict. The guys we're showing off are all 5-6 ceiling guys like Santiago. Yeah...it's nice to have some depth at least somewhere, but we're not going to have one of the better rotations in baseball throwing a bunch of those guys out there. Other teams don't have Sale. That's really the big difference. But after him, things get bleak.

If you gave every GM the chance to pick the White Sox roster and system or the Astros, do you really believe there's a GM out there that would take the Sox system? That's completely delusional. They've got a slightly worse mlb roster, but there system is ranked first or second by pretty much anyone (and that's before they get to draft automatic #1 prospect in baseball Carlos Rodon later this year). We, on the other hand, recently celebrated not being last in most publications.

Most teams do produce minor league players. It just feels like it doesn't happen because we aren't doing it.