View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 12:56 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherBandit View Post
Anybody from Atlanta or the south that can explain the logistics behind this aside from season ticket statistics?

From what I've heard, public transportation is a non-factor in Atlanta. There isn't a MARTA spur near Turner to begin with so the fact that the new stadium will be 2 miles outside ATL city limits without a MARTA stop is irrelevant in comparison. But I want to know about the financial burden Turner field supposedly is. Does it need any of those aforementioned repairs? Would stripping every chair and replacing some of the lights really amount to $150 Million? That seems like a ridiculous overestimation to me. These stadiums are becoming disposable to the point where major overhaul is just as daunting as a change of scenery.
This announcement came out of the blue, the stadium is all of 17 years old; Cobb County is giving them a ridiculous amount of money which they don't really have. I have a hard time believing the Braves' cost estimations to refurbish Turner Field.

As for the public transportation question, Cobb County does not currently and has not ever wanted MARTA, so I think that's a non-starter. Atlanta is one of the most car-dependent metro areas in the country. And while some cities are building out public transportation systems now (LA's subway expansion is a rather large one, while Denver is building a network of light rail lines), Atlanta is well behind other locales. A local option-sales tax to build out light rail circling the city failed (the Belt Line project is currently just a multi-use one for bikers, walkers, etc.).
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.