View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 01:29 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I never said i was cynical about the Sox having a competitive team on the field. I said as the Cubs, most MLB teams including the Sox are all about the bottom line. How they maximize this bottom differs from team to team. What the models are that teams are using, you or I dont know. Maximizing profits is goal of most businesses these days, Mlb franchises fall into this group.
If it were simply about the bottom line, the Sox wouldn't have signed Dunn. They wouldn't have traded for Peavy. They wouldn't have traded for Edwin Jackson. They wouldn't have signed Abreu. They wouldn't have picked up Rios on waivers.

You will find some disagreement over whether those moves were good baseball moves for the White Sox. But none of them are moves that would be made if it were "about the bottom line."

There was a time, a story is told, when the White Sox traded Ed Herrmann to make payroll. When a coach told Bill Veeck he couldn't afford to take a cab to the ballpark every day, a story goes, Veeck said he would take care of him and gave him tokens to ride the CTA. The Sporting News reported in 1970 that a rookie who broke his batting helmet after striking out was billed for the replacement, inspiring his teammates to take up a collection.

The current ownership is probably the least "bottom line" ownership the White Sox have ever had.