View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 05:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
I get what you're saying here, and I get the idea behind it, that another generation of kids will grow up White Sox fans like they did Cub fans when the Cubs were on the WGN when they were growing up..

But times are different now, kids have way more entertainment options then they used to, and I dont see kids coming home from school and sitting in front of the TV to watch White Sox baseball. With most cable packages carrying the MLB network, kids growing up who are big baseball fans are going to flock to the teams that are actually really good and have big stars. It's much easier to follow an out of market team now than it has ever been.

I wouldn't be against the Sox having more games on WGN simply because I think they have a better production than Comcast does. But as others have said in this thread I believe the Sox get more money from their Comcast deal than they would WGN.
Bingo! Between the way we follow sports today, plus video games, plus fantasy sports, it has become a league of stars. You don't root for the Angels, you root for Mike Trout. Sure you always have your hometown team, but kids are not flocking that way.

Plus, we need to address the 7 ton elephant in the room. Putting the Sox on WGN to draw new Sox fans will not do anything if those kids are subjected to Hawk Harrelson.

The Sox need to develop everyday stars. And no, they don't have 1. Sale is close, but until the Sox start winning, the national fan is not going to know him or care about him. Konerko, Buehrle, these cult hero types, if we want to be a major force of revenue, we need real stars. Not the 200 IP inning eater, or the guy who gave Jerry the ball, but household names.

This is a good move by the Cubs. WGN doesn't matter anymore, most people have Cable/Satellite. The only way we are gaining any marketshare in Illinois is going on a dominant run of winning baseball (and no, that isn't 83-86 win seasons) but consistent division titles, playoffs, a world series OR by growing/trading for/signing a couple superstars.