View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 03:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Thanks for the insight. It's hard to see another multi-use stadium and also Oakland building two new stadiums, no? Although I would think baseball teams would bring a greater economic benefit to a city than a football team (even if I'm one to think the economic benefit argument in favor of public financing stadiums is bunk). Thus, I wonder if the Raiders more likely to depart than the A's. I want to say there has been talk of the Raiders moving over the Oakland hills to a city whose name I forget.
If the Raiders were to move -- again -- the city could renovate the coliseum into a nice baseball-only park, although it would take some work. The coliseum is still in run-down light industrial area, but the geographic location isn't bad. It has a BART stop, as well as a Capitol Corridor passenger train stop from Sacramento. It has its own I-880 exit. I know most, if not all of that didn't exist when the A's moved there. Oracle Arena, home of the Golden State Warriors, share the same parking lot.

I don't know if that will ever happen. The city, or maybe the county or maybe the two in cahoots, wanted the Raiders back enough that they ruined what charm the coliseum had to get them.

But I have to believe Oakland wants to be known for more than its rap/hip-hop scene. No one will ever think Jack London Square when they think of Oakland.