View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 09:29 AM
WSI High Priest

The A's staying put in Oakland for now:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...s-on-the-table

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Eh...the roads are pretty terrible and so is the traffic. Unless you live in San Jose or immediate outlying communities, it would be an absolute pain to be a season ticket holder.

Also, in regards to population...it's not like it's the midwest. St. Louis survives with lower numbers because everyone that lives in St. Louis is a Cards fan, and an avid one at that. That culture isn't really an option anywhere else.
If you're talking about the city alone, San Jose is the 10th most populous city in America. There are plenty of fans to be had in the immediate San Jose area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I really don't see the A's moving to San Jose. I believe voters would have to approve a stadium before it could be built, although I may have missed such approval being granted. If it was waived, I missed that. I think voters in Santa Clara County voted at least twice on a proposed Giants stadium and rejected the proposal before the Giants ended up with their new park in San Francisco. The A's want to move to San Jose and San Jose city leaders and business leaders want the A's to move to San Jose, but the A's already would have moved to Fremont if they hadn't been rejected by the city of Fremont. San Jose seems more of an uphill struggle.
I don't remember the details of the San Jose stadium deal, but I thought it was pretty much a done deal (including approval by the city) except for the territorial rights issue. I can't find any links to articles to support this though.

If I remember correctly, it was going to be privately financed except for San Jose selling some city-owned land for the ballpark (or something like that).