View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 01:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
If Ellsbury were signed to a five year deal he would only be 34 in his final year. I'm not really advocating signing him, but I would think there'd be just about as decent a chance he'd be a similar player in the fifth year as any other free agent signing. It's not like there are a lot of free agents around aged 29 or younger. I can't see signing him for 15 million a year regardless, though. I'd imagine he would go around 10-12 million a year.
Except that it's already been speculated he will get that much. Ken Rosenthal a week or 2 ago stated he thinks Ellsbury could get $20 million a year. Seattle is reportedly very high on him and Rosenthal said he thinks they are going to sign him to a 6-7 year deal at $21 million per. Regardless if that happens or not, the FA market is slim and a player like Ellsbury is going to get top $. And he played hurt during the Series with a hand/wrist injury that actually happened before his foot problem in September: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/r...-injury-103113

He just turned 30, he's had injury issues the last couple years, this is not the kind of player I want the Sox making an investment in at this time.