View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 01:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
If Boston doesn't come back to win the Series, the world will never hear the end of it. Books will be written. Movies will be made. Doris Kearns Goodwin and Dennis Leary and Bob Ryan and Ben Affleck etc. Oh ****, I'm not ready for that. The world isn't ready for that. The only thing more insufferable than Red Sox fans after their team has won the WS is Red Sox fans after their team has lost the WS.
You don't think there would be similar reaction from Cardinals Nation if the Cardinals were to go on to lose the World Series after losing a game after a clear obstruction of what the baserunner at third prevented him from scoring the winning run?

The Cardinals didn't win the game on a rulebook technicality. The run wasn't awarded because it was clear to all of the umpires that he would have scored had the Red Sox not obstructed the runner from scoring. The rule addresses this specific action. Bring in the instant replay. Show it over and over. The play is the definition of obstruction. Don't call it and you're screwing the Cardinals and the hue and cry for years to come is coming from Cardinals Nation.

It's unfortunate that the Red Sox screwed up the end of the game in a way that no ending of a World Series Game has been screwed up before. Because the obstruction prevented the winning run from scoring, and it wasn't a non-call on a play that Carlton Fisk has always insisted was interference in a 1975 Red Sox World Series loss, it will be more memorable.

Really, it isn't even the most unusual ending to a game I've ever seen. In September 2010, the Twins won a game in which the last out of the game was made at third because the runner representing the tying run with two outs in the ninth was called out d for making contact with the third-base coach.

You don't ignore a rule simply because it's a lousy way to end the game. If the play happened in the bottom of the first, it would have less controversy than the J.C. Martin bunt play in the 1969 World Series. But it's not on the umpires for not overlooking rules because it would be "a lousy way to end the game" (I actually heard that phrase from a sports editor on the other side of the building from where I was working during Game 2 of the 2005 ALCS). This is about the Red Sox screwing up.