View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 02:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Maybe people had unreasonable expectations. Maybe people thought they were getting 2007 Cy Young Jake Peavy. He was never going to regain that form with all the injuries he had. But he was an effective pitcher for the Sox when healthy, especially in 2012 and this year. He met my expectations. I'm sorry if he didn't meet yours. Be more realistic next time.
The problem is that Peavy was making Cy Young money and was acquired to be the #1 starter in the rotation. He made $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011, and $17 million in 2012. That's more money than any other Sox starter has been paid. His salary is one of the reasons the Sox let Buehrle go and could not re-sign Pierzynski. On top of that, the Sox gave up at the time a huge haul for him (irregardless if those guys panned out with San Diego). The emergence of Sale was a nice surprise, if not accident, to be #1 starter, but Peavy was acquired to be the guy. When you talk about expectations, what I just spelled out is fairly reasonable. It just did not happen.