View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 10:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I know enough to know that when a guy consistently hits 91, guys at the plate don't consider him either of those things. He's not throwing hard, and his fastball's not fast enough to throw for 90% of his pitches. So yeah, neither.
Late this season, Konerko made it a point to tell reporters about the "rave reviews" he was getting at 1B from opposing hitters regarding Quintana. They talked about how he doesn't show the hitters anything and keeps them guessing, in addition to his great stuff. Regardless of velocity, the most telling quote for me is that the hitters were telling Konerko that he "doesn't show anything". This means that Jose is learning how to pitch. If Quintana has learned to make every pitch look similar coming out of his hand to the opposing batter, then he is a very dangerous pitcher regardless of whether he is throwing 94 or 91 mph. Here is a link to the article that has the Konerko quiote:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...uintana-de-aza
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin