View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 12:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
If Peavy were still on the Sox, going into the 2014 season he would, at best be the #3 starter on the Sox and very possibly could be the #5 starter by season's end. He's not relevant to the make-up of the pitching staff which was very good most of this season.

I agree, I'd love to build a 95-game winner, too, but I don't think you need to lose 100 games for a decade to do it. Plenty of other teams have shown it is more than possible to juggle success at the MLB level with success in growing one's own farm.

All that being said, I'd much rather build a team that can certainly win 85-ish games, hope for a few lucky bounces here and there, and be realistic contenders for much of the season instead of watching another year of 100-loss baseball. That's for damn sure.

Yeah, exactly, nobody wants Granderson at all costs, but if you're telling me you wouldn't take him for a short contract that doesn't have an NTC and isn't financially crippling, why not? The Sox don't have any blue chip OF prospects other than Garcia ready for the Majors. After him it's all Viciedo, De Aza, and Danks... Ugh. These guys suck.
Maybe on Jake, I still think he slots into the 2-3.

I love Sale, and Quintana showed a lot of growth this year. In a perfect world we go into the season with him as a 3. I don't know about Danks's health but I feel ok with him as a 4. I like Johnson in the 5. Santiago as the swing man is fine. He really ran out of gas late, and does not always show the ability to pitch deep into games. But he has value in the pen.

I think the rotation could use a solid/strong 2, but it is not a need. But with that rotation, it won't matter if we have a bottom 3 or 4 offense and defense.

I admit I judge success and failure harshly, very harsly, but honestly I would rather endure a year like this that leads to change vs. a year where we hover .500 and never get past 3rd place. Baseball hell and Baseball purgatory are not much different to me.