View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 12:22 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Maybe they have enough pitching. I agreed with Peavy, without, they are just average. I would rather build a team that has a chance to actually win and do damage vs. the same old same old of 82 win teams that maybe get hot, win 86-87 games, sneak in, and get swept. That is not a very successful season to me.
If Peavy were still on the Sox, going into the 2014 season he would, at best be the #3 starter on the Sox and very possibly could be the #5 starter by season's end. He's not relevant to the make-up of the pitching staff which was very good most of this season.

I agree, I'd love to build a 95-game winner, too, but I don't think you need to lose 100 games for a decade to do it. Plenty of other teams have shown it is more than possible to juggle success at the MLB level with success in growing one's own farm.

All that being said, I'd much rather build a team that can certainly win 85-ish games, hope for a few lucky bounces here and there, and be realistic contenders for much of the season instead of watching another year of 100-loss baseball. That's for damn sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I don't see why signing Granderson to a team-friendly deal would have to interfere with the rebuild. I don't think anyone here wants them to sign him to a long-term contract. Hell, if he has a good enough year, and the Sox are out of contention they can trade him for more prospects to maybe accelerate the rebuild.
Yeah, exactly, nobody wants Granderson at all costs, but if you're telling me you wouldn't take him for a short contract that doesn't have an NTC and isn't financially crippling, why not? The Sox don't have any blue chip OF prospects other than Garcia ready for the Majors. After him it's all Viciedo, De Aza, and Danks... Ugh. These guys suck.