View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 01:37 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Are you kidding? That IS horrible, and it's not like he was any better out of the pen. What's worse is his WHIP was 2.00 in the second half. He gave up 217 runners in 128.1 innings, and opponents put up .318/.372/.519 line against him. He is the definition of horrible, and there's no reason to think he will ever improve. No reason whatsoever for him to remain on the roster, big difference between cutting Axelrod and just cutting anybody on the roster. There's no way he can be considered to be of benefit to the team long run.
Which, if you read what I wrote, I attribute to overuse; I don't want Axelrod in the starting rotation every 5th day, I don't even want him in Chicago, but if you take more than a glance at his numbers you'll there's more to the story. Through his first 11 games (about 65 innings), he held opponents to a .249/.300/.390 line, which I'm not saying is great, but again, for emergency spot starter material is fine.

The guy has general split time between SP and RP in his minor league career so he's only pitched 109, 150, and 130ish innings in the minors his last 3 seasons, no shock that he wore down as he approached those numbers in the Major Leagues.

There's currently 37 players on the Sox 40-man roster. By my count, there's at least 25 more pressing issues than Axelrod. I hate to break it to everyone, but the Sox probably aren't winning more than 70 games next year. Dumping or keeping Dylan Axelrod around isn't exactly going to make or break the 2014 season.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck