View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 09:34 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I'll be among the evil people that doesn't want Granderson at any price.

33 years old, coming off an injury-plagued season, struck out way too much even when he was healthy. Pass.
I'll play Devil's Advocate and say that I would bring him in if he is reduced to a 2-year, maybe option for a third, style contract. The pendulum in baseball has swung so far toward developing and protecting one's own prospects that sometimes veteran players are undervalued.

I don't want the Sox to get in a bidding war with another team and ink him to a long-term deal, but maybe Curtis finds his prospects less enticing than expected and maybe he'd take a shorter deal at a HR-friendly, small OF (good for defense) park where he can reestablish himself as a big name bat and try to get one last nice contract before he calls it a career. It's not like there's this bevy of young OF talent waiting to crack the big leagues in our farm system, the best near ready OF prospect we have is Trayce Thompson who, in a perfect world, might be ready for a September call up in 2014.

The Sox have plenty of payroll to work with, if you can get something that's kind of team-friendly, that's low-risk, high-reward stuff... And who knows, maybe you can even flip him at the trade deadline in July for some more minor league material. I mean, really, do people want to spend a full season with De Aza, Danks, and Viciedo getting a heavy share of OF playing time? *Shudder*