View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 02:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I agree we need volume, but I don't think free agency is the way to go about it, which is why I'd prefer if they do go the free agency route it is for long term impact players. The 2004 team was in a lot better shape to add a few mid level veteran signings, if they take the same approach with this team we'll just be treading water. The volume is going to have to come via acquiring and developing young players. Hahn's actually off to a good start IMO with the the acquisitions of the Garcias and the rapid development of Semien and Johnson.
We need volume in the system, and the only way to do that is to draft smart and draft best talent available for three years.

IMO, FA's should be 1-2 year placeholders only until prospects are either brought up through the system and/or near-MLB prospects are acquired for some of the higher priced assets we have that other teams may want, i.e. John Danks, Ramirez, Viciedo, De Aza, Beckham.

We need an infusion of good young players. All a quick FA fix will do is have us lose 85-90 games instead of 95-100 games, and kick the bottle down the road another year.