View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 11:37 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
I'm not saying SF is the rule, nor am I saying a WS can be won, just saying that a team can compete with that type of roster.

As far as the A's go, that's their WAR's this year. My point is, coming into this year, on paper: Did anyone expect a 30 year old career minor leaguer like Brandon Moss to hit 30HR and drive in 85 runs? A so-so minor league catcher turned 3rd baseman, Josh Donaldson, to suddenly become a 90+ RBI man? Coco Crisp at 33 to have his best season since 2006?

W/the exception of maybe Cespedes they were all average to below average offensive players coming into this year.
Cespedes might be the most overrated player in baseball. He had himself a nice year last year, but because he put on a good show at the homerun derby people think he is Adam Jones or something. He is a little better that Viciedo as far as I'm concerned.

And as for going for the moneyball/ A's approach, I'll pass. That hasn't gotten them to even the World Series once, and the ALCS maybe once (don't want to check now).