View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
This is emphatically false. Oakland's got four players with offensive WAR over 3.6, one of which is a whopping 6.6. In fact, every one of their everyday lineup has a positive WAR. So on top of being above average to significantly above average offensively (fourth most runs score in ALL of baseball), they also play really good defense.

As for San Fran...it would be harder to get four Chris Sale's in your rotation than it is to build a complete team. San Fran shouldn't be seen as the rule.
I'm not saying SF is the rule, nor am I saying a WS can be won, just saying that a team can compete with that type of roster.

As far as the A's go, that's their WAR's this year. My point is, coming into this year, on paper: Did anyone expect a 30 year old career minor leaguer like Brandon Moss to hit 30HR and drive in 85 runs? A so-so minor league catcher turned 3rd baseman, Josh Donaldson, to suddenly become a 90+ RBI man? Coco Crisp at 33 to have his best season since 2006?

W/the exception of maybe Cespedes they were all average to below average offensive players coming into this year.