View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Not necessarily a positive thought, but something that I saw today that put things really in perspective. I was sitting up in the 300 level today and as we were leaving the game, this family was walking toward us in the concourse. One guy was pushing what I assumed to be his mother in a wheel chair. She was not real elderly, but she looked quite frail. She was also crying her eyes out. It sounds awful, but all I could wonder is if her health was so bad and that she wanted to make it a point to attend the last game in case it was her last game. I can't stop thinking of it since.

For all the griping we do on this site, I still feel lucky to live in a major league town. I feel grateful for all the memories I've had with friends and family over decades in both the old and new park. I'm also grateful that I will never figure out why this game drives me crazy but keeps me coming back.

OK, if anybody wants to cue the A. Bartlett Giamatti essay feel free...
Thank you for this post and for putting things in perspective. I agree with everything you said. I've really struggled in 2013 with lots of illness in my family. I've learned to cherish my health. It took me until game #161 to get to Sox Park with my daughter this past Saturday night and we had so much fun.

As for the Sox, I will leave it to their management to make the changes needed to improve the team.
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!