View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 09:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
That '89 team was loaded with young talent and fans knew it. I think there was some excitement among Sox fans that better times were indeed only a year or two away.
I don't know about that. 1990 caught most people by surprise. There was some young talent, but lots of unproven talent and question marks. The fanbase was pretty much in total apathy after the Baines trade. Sosa was an unproven commodity. The hot draft pick Robin Ventura only came up for the final few weeks of the season. Frank Thomas and Alex Fernandez were off the grid; nobody knew who they were. McDowell was crap and actually spent the entire season in the minors. You had some veteran iffy guys like Pasqua and Fletcher that weren't going to draw fans to the gate. I don't buy that everyone knew the Sox were close.

By the way, no offense, because the Sox wouldn't have become the team they were without Frank's emergence really in '91 (I don't think anyone realized how good he was at the end of '90), and the difference here is that, other than possibly A Garcia, we don't have that type of guy in the minors now, unless he's hiding somewhere.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500