View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 01:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Yeah I think your right on this. Although I could be wrong but I did hear once that Manto instructed hitters to swing at the first pitch. If true, I can't see that being a good approach to hitting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Not sure if this solves anything, since we need an organizational approach to hitting fundamentals, especially when it comes to pitch recognition, plate patience and how to approach an at-bat.

But if we're going to have a younger team next year, Manto needed to either change his approach or be gone to give these younger players a chance instead of always being behind the count due to the preached "aggressiveness".

You don't set up kids to fail like that, hitting is hard enough at the big league level to give the pitcher advantages.
I recall seeing a study several years ago that first-pitch batting averages were much higher. Frank Thomas' average was extremely high.

If a pitcher is going to grab a quick strike by throwing a fastball down the middle or nothing curve ball, the batter needs to kill it. I doubt anyone coaches to simply swing at the first pitch. The pitcher's tendencies should be figured out by reviewing tape and discussed in pre-game meetings.