View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 10:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I'm going to present an opinion that is probably widely unpopular here.

If Konerko wants to come back for one more season, I give him one more season.

Konerko gave the Sox "discounts" on his last two contracts. On the last contract, not only did he give a discount but he deferred money so they could re-sign AJ and bring in Dunn. In an orginazation that honors loyalty and works on handshake deals, Konerko is owed a favor. Whether or not he wants to take it, that's his decision. But, the favor is there.

As far as rebuilding, the Sox are not going to contend next year and have nothing in the pipeline for 1B or DH. Viciedo is not going to play first here, and I don't know if Andy Wilkins is a reasonable consideration. Konerko's not going to kill you on what will probably be a last place team again.
I don't think it's so much that it's an unpopular idea, but rather that the people who are against bringing him back are more vocal than those who aren't. People are more likely to speak out when something upsets them than they are when something pleases them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I would not be against Konerko coming back as a cheap option at 1B but only if and only if the Sox spend well and smart to upgrade other areas.
Agreed. And really, what does bringing him back for one more year hurt? It's not like we've got someone in the minors he'd be holding back.