View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Reed's fine. The OP of this thread is the same guy who doesn't think Roy Halladay is a HOF Pitcher so I'm going to respectfully disagree with his evaluation of pitchers.
I'm sure Reed has a future in this league, just not as a closer. He'll probably at least make it as a middle reliever somewhere. He might even be a back-of-the-rotation guy if someone wants to take that chance.

How closers work in baseball, at least from what I've seen, is generally "What have you done for me lately?" The Cardinals just moved Mujica out of that role and it's almost postseason time. We should consider ourselves lucky that Jenks was able to keep that role for so long here. Look at how many other teams changed closers during his tenure.

My point is unless Reed is hurt, I'd rather see someone else in the system get a chance. If no one else in Spring Training stands out, then by all means, keep Reed there. Otherwise, I'm about exhausted by this lack of easy save opportunities he's had, especially lately. I know I can't expect every closer in baseball to be Rivera-like, but how long can we see these shenanigans before a change is made?