View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 10:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Reed threw one bad pitch the entire inning . . . and Giambi hits it out. It's that kind of year. Fortunately, we have our stopper starting tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Reed cannot close out a game without drama. It's exactly like when Jenks stopped overpowering guys, "became a contact pitcher", and people argued that the fact that he was getting a ****-ton of contact didn't matter because he was still getting saves. 1-2-3 innings are just too rare for him to be relied upon to close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
When he finds the release point on his slider again, he'll be the closer. I'm talking about next year. Get 'em tomorrow.
I am weary of hearing Hawk tell us how bad this team would be without Addison Reed. They are plenty bad, historically bad, with him.

I hate using saves as a metric at all, since they bear no indication of effective pitching. Reed is a hazard every time he is out there. It seems like he ALWAYS has to put a runner or two on base, whether he ends up logging a save in the end or not. And I think this is his 2nd walk-off this week, although I am not paying close enough attention to say for sure.

Reed has 8 blown saves and 39 saves, so he has blown more than 20%, which in my mind is NOT the mark of a premier closer.

And I am WAAAY past complaining about Dunn any more. I am like some other poster here said recently, I expect him to strike out and I am pleasantly surprised when he does not. Another day, another golden sombrero. One more ****ing year of this bust.

SMO